Recipe of the Month
This recipe is one of the best detox soups we’ve ever made & tasted. It’s loaded with root vegetables and cleansing greens that are pureed after simmering, and full of flavor with paprika, cinnamon and cayenne to help increase metabolism and help keep you fuller longer. It’s the perfect dish on cold winter days. This recipe makes a lot of soup, so you can either cut the recipe in half, freeze some of it, or consume it throughout the week (since it is a great detox meal). This is an easy and delicious way to get your greens in, and doesn’t take long to prepare. To make things even easier, pre-chop your veggies the night before preparing the soup.
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cups peeled and chopped daikon radish(substitute celery root or 1 bunch of kohlrabi)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock (substitute bone broth for more protein)
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1-cm pieces
- ½ bunch kale, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a large soup pot with a little olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add paprika and chili powder and sauté for 1 minute, and then add a little stock and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the daikon radish and sweet potato, and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the stock, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini and kale, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup mixture into the blender and blend till smooth. You may have to do this in batches given the large volume of soup.
- Return to the pot with heat on low, and add lemon juice, cinnamon and cayenne.
Note: Option to add extra quart of broth to increase servings or additional veggies.