Recipe of the Month
These spring rolls are delicious and take only about 15 minutes to prepare. You can easily interchange ingredients based on your taste preference or add some meat if you want a little more sustenance. We found these are delicious paired with a peanut sauce, but would also be good with Tamari or a sweet and sour sauce. Now you can make your own spring rolls so you won’t have to rely on your favorite restaurant!
- ½ head red or green cabbage
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey (more or less to taste)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Shredded carrots
- 1 cucumber, skin removed and sliced into matchsticks
- Black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Fresh basil leaves
- 6-8 Spring Roll Wrappers (we used Red Rose Brand)
- Tamari or Peanut Sauce, to serve
- Shred cabbage and toss with juice from lime and honey. Taste cabbage and add more honey if extra sweetness is desired. Set aside.
- Slice avocado in half, remove pit, and carefully scoop out the whole avocado. Slice into ½” slices and set aside.
- Boil some water, but just to where the water is warmer up, not completely boiling. Fill a medium bowl with water.
- Set up your spring roll rolling station: a non-porous surface with the hot water bath, cabbage mixture, avocados, cilantro, basil leaves, shredded carrots and cucumber slices. I used a granite counter top to roll the spring rolls and it worked great.
- Soak the rice paper for 10-15 seconds (you want the rice paper to be slightly firm, but not too soft where it is folding on itself; don’t worry about the paper being a little firm because it will continue to absorb the water when placed on the surface and will become soft and gelatinous).
- Place rice paper on surface. On the bottom third of the rice paper, place a couple basil leaves followed by avocado slices, a couple pieces of cucumber, a few carrots, and cabbage. Sprinkle a few black sesame seeds and cilantro on top. If you want it spicy, sprinkle a little crushed red pepper.
- Start from the bottom and roll like a burrito. Roll the bottom part of the rice paper over the ingredients, then fold the left side in and then the right side. Continue rolling until done.
- You will want to refrigerate the spring rolls if not consuming immediately, but make sure they do not touch each other, as they will stick together and likely tear.
- You’re welcome to eat whole or slice in half. Serve with tamari or your favorite peanut sauce.