Recipe of the Month
This recipe is excellent for anyone, with or without digestive issues. (if you do have issues, you’ll want to omit the cayenne pepper). These stuffed zucchini boats are a breeze to prepare, and are very fresh and satisfying as a side or main dish! You could turn this vegetarian by using tempeh, lentils or black beans.
Yield: 8 boats
- 4 medium zucchini (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ green or red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup reserved zucchini ‘meat’ from the center of zucchini
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Lisanatti mozzarella almond cheese or Cabot cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Slice zucchini in half length wise and use a spoon (or melon baller) to scoop out the center leaving about 1/4 inch zucchini shell all around.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces. Add garlic, onion, green peppers, zucchini meat, Italian seasoning, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the veggies are tender and all the flavors have come together.
- Place zucchini halves in a baking dish and fill each zucchini boat with about 1/2 cup filling. Top each turkey stuffed zucchini boat with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 min. Let boats sit for 5 minutes before eating.