Recipe of the Month
Looking for something new to serve at your BBQ? This 4th of July, we’ve lightened up 3 of our favorite side dishes that are delicious and nutritious! They are easy to prepare and will send fireworks through your taste buds!
Sweet Potato Salad
- 5 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ chopped red pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced bread and butter pickles
- ⅔ cup reduced fat veganaise
- 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- ½-1 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the cubed, peeled sweet potatoes in a large pot of cool water; bring to a boil and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or just until fork tender.
- Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water until they have cooled enough to handle.
- At this point, I drain them well and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Gently stir in the potatoes, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately (can be refrigerated before serving if desired).
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad w/Red Onion, Lemon and Parmesan
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ or less Lemon zest, to taste
- 1 teaspoon organic raw honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts or Pre-shredded 10 oz bag (we found from Trader Joe’s)
- ½ cup or less finely grated pecorino romano, to taste
- Soak the onion slices in a small bowl of cold water for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, mustard, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
- Trim all of the Brussels sprouts, cutting off any bruised outer leaves and slicing off a good portion of the hard root end. Using a mandoline, shave the sprouts one at a time. When you’re done, use your fingers to gently separate the leaves so that the shredded sprouts resemble a very fine slaw. You could also just slice with a knife thinly, or use a food processor if you have one.
- Put the sprouts in a serving bowl and toss gently with the onions (which you’ve now drained) and the dressing. Fold in the pecorino & lemon zest, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Let dressing absorb for a few minutes then serve!
- 1 package organic broccoli slaw, washed and ready to use
- 1/3 pound red bell peppers, diced into 1/4” pieces 4 ounces Veganaise
- 2 ounces golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Add the veganaise and whisk again.
- Add the broccoli slaw, raisins and bell peppers and mix thoroughly. Adjust seasoning. Chill until cold. Drain off excess liquid before serving, if necessary.