Recipe of the Month
These quick and easy, hot off the grill shrimp skewers make for the perfect meal on a summer day! Your shrimp will turn out best when grilled quickly, but not over too high of heat- you do not want to overcook them. Shrimp are nutrient-rich (a good source of selenium, vitamin D and vitamin B12) and low in calories and fat.
Servings: 8 (serving size: 1 kabob)
Adapted from Skinnytaste.com
- 32 jumbo raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (17.5 oz after peeled)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 24 slices (about 3) large limes, very thinly sliced into rounds (optional)
- 16 bamboo skewers soaked in water 1 hour
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges
- 1-2 hours before grilling, prepare the marinade. Mix together olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and half of the cilantro in a bowl. Place marinade into a large freezer bag. Add the shrimp to marinade and place bag in refrigerator until ready to grill.
- Remove shrimp from marinade. Beginning and ending with shrimp, thread the shrimp and folded lime slices onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs total (4-5 shrimp per skewer). You could also cut pieces of vegetables to add to the skewers (onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, squash).
- Grill the shrimp, turning occasionally, until shrimp is opaque throughout, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Top with remaining cilantro and fresh squeezed limejuice before serving.
*Optional: serve over a bed of brown rice or couscous.