Recipe of the Month
Make the best homemade tomato soup with fresh tomatoes and this easy to prepare recipe. Nutritious, fresh ingredients, make this dish an excellent transition into fall no matter where you live, as it can be enjoyed warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt mixed in, or served cold as a refreshing appetizer or snack!
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan & bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place half of tomato mixture in blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into large bowl and back into large saucepan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture.
- Ladle 3/4 cup coup into bowl. Top with dollop of yogurt and sliced basil.