Recipe of the Month
Since cooking reduces the glutathione content in foods, this month’s recipe incorporates a glutathione powerhouse: raw avocado. We found this recipe a few years ago from OhSheGlows.com, and it’s been a hit with us and every nutrition client whose made it! This recipe only makes 2 servings and it really only takes 15 minutes to prepare…dinner in minutes!
I recommend using a lentil pasta, as it has more protein than many of the other pastas out there. Feel free to add any other veggies, too, like artichokes, sundried tomatoes or asparagus; or even a protein such as shrimp or grilled chicken. If eating for one, store leftover sauce in airtight container, but add a piece of plastic wrap on top of avocado sauce before sealing as this will prevent any natural browning.
If looking for another glutathione-rich dish, check out our delicious Cabbage Slaw. It’s not only nutrient-rich, but also a great cleanser.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 1-3 garlic cloves, to taste (I used 3 and it was super garlicky, but if you are not a big fan of garlic use 1 clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ~1/4 cup fresh basil,
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6-oz of your choice of pasta
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
- When pasta is done cooking (al dente), drain in a strainer. Add pasta to each plate then top with creamy avocado sauce. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy!