Recipe of the Month
This makes for a perfect side dish or meal on any given day. High in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin k and many more nutrients, this recipe will keep you satisfied for a long period of time. It is excellent as a sandwich on Ezekiel bread or in a wrap with a little spicy mustard. Just be careful, this cooling salad will keep you wanting more!
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup organic dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced, white & green parts
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons (1/3 cup) Reduced-Fat Vegenaise
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- Start by mixing your dressing. In a small bowl combine Vegenaise, vinegar, water and maple syrup. Set aside so the flavors come together. Add a tad more water or vinegar if you want to thin out dressing, if desired. Also, you may like to add a couple more tablespoons of Vegenaise for a creamier sauce.
- In a medium to large bowl, add your garbanzo beans and roughly mash with a fork or potato masher. Add in celery, cranberries, nuts, scallions, salt, pepper and dressing, mix well. Serve at room temp or let chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.
- This salad is great served over a bed of romaine lettuce, as open/closed faced sandwich on Ezekiel bread, or inside a Lavash wrap with a little spicy mustard.
Adapted from the Simple Veganista