Recipe of the Month
Spring time is usually a great time to cleanse the body from toxins and weight that accumulated over the winter months. Many turn to juicing, which can be difficult at times, so this soup is a satisfying alternative. This soup has a creamy smooth texture without any dairy and is made with cleansing ingredients such as cauliflower, kale, onions and garlic. The garnish of crispy kale chips and toasted pine nuts add a tasty crunch to the final product. There’s no guilt when it comes to eating this soup for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed & cut into florets
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- Oregano, Paprika and salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch curly kale, stems removed, leaves torn into 1” pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss cauliflower with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and season with salt, pepper, oregano and paprika. Place on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and edges are browned and crisp, about 22 minutes. Reduce the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss half of the kale with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and season with salt. Place on a baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast, stirring once halfway through, until the kale is crispy, 26-28 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, warm remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper & turmeric. Add the cauliflower and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining kale, increase heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a Vitamix blender until smooth. Return soup to the pot and adjust seasonings. We added 1-teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon ground ginger and ½ fresh lemon juice. Ladle soup into bowls and top with crispy kale and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately. *Optional to add ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne.