Recipe of the Month
Jackfruit, the largest fruit tree in the world, is a truly remarkable fruit when it comes to it’s nutritional benefits. This fruit is often used as a meat substitute due to it’s great texture & high fiber content. Jackfruit is low in calories & carbs, but high in magnesium, vitamin B6 and antioxidants. It can help enhance immunity, boost magnesium levels, improve digestion & more. This sandwich is so delicious, full of flavor & so easy to prepare even meat eaters won’t recognize the difference! Because jackfruit contains little protein, we found serving with a side of black beans creates a more satiating meal!
- 2 cans Green Jackfruit in Brine (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha & Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 red onion, diced (optional; for cooking & garnish)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package hamburger buns or mini slider buns
- 1 bag shredded green & red cabbage slaw (Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise or plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
Prepare Pulled Jackfruit: Drain jackfruit & pat dry. Partially shred jackfruit chunks into smaller pieces (I used two forks to make easier). In medium-large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add jackfruit & saute for 5 minutes. Add BBQ sauce & water to pan and stir to evenly coat jackfruit. Cover pan and simmer on medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. With about 5-10 minutes left of cooking, add in garlic & about 3/4 of diced onion. Mix together, cover pan & continue cooking.
Prepare Slaw: While jackfruit is cooking, in a large bowl, mix together Vegenaise & apple cider vinegar. Add in chopped cabbage and toss to coat. Season with salt & black pepper and set aside.
Prepare Sandwiches: Place a scoop of pulled jackfruit on bottom bun. Top with diced red onions, cole slaw and bun top. Enjoy!