Recipe of the Month
- 3/4 pounds beets w/ greens attached
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- Small bunch Red Chard (4+ leaves)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Heat the pine nuts in a dry skillet, over medium heat, until they begin to brown. Watch them carefully, as they will burn quickly. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Peel the beets & chop them into bite-sized pieces. Remove the stems from the beet greens & slice the leaves & red chard into strips. Wash the greens & chard thoroughly to remove any grit.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced red onion & garlic. Cook until the onions are tender & golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low & add the beet greens & red chard. Cover & cook, tossing occasionally, until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the beets in a pot of salted water, until just tender, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the beets from the pot using a slotted spoon & set aside. Return the water to a boil & add the orzo. Cook according to package instructions and drain. Add orzo to a bowl, along with beets, pine nuts, beet greens, red chard, & crumbled feta. Toss, season with salt & pepper to taste and serve!
This recipe tastes great alone or served over a bed of Romaine lettuce with a little drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar…yum!
Adapted from food52.com