Recipe of the Month
This recipe is one of the best detox soups we’ve ever made & tasted. It’s loaded with root vegetables and cleansing greens that are pureed after simmering, and full of flavor with paprika, cinnamon and cayenne to help increase metabolism and help keep you fuller longer. It’s the perfect dish on cold winter days. This recipe makes a lot of soup, so you can either cut the recipe in half, freeze some of it, or consume it throughout the week (since it is a great detox meal). This is an easy and delicious way to get your greens in, and doesn’t take long to prepare. To make things even easier, pre-chop your veggies the night before preparing the soup.
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 bunch kohlrabi, peeled and chopped (or celery root or daikon radish; or mixture of both)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 quarts stock (64 oz; we used half vegetable, half chicken)
- 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1-cm pieces
- ½ bunch kale, rinsed and drained
- Handful of Swiss Chard leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a large soup pot with a little olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add paprika and chili powder and sauté for 1 minute, and then add a little stock and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the kohlrabi and sweet potato, and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the stock, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini and kale, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the Swiss Chard in at the end, and simmer for another minute.
- Pour the soup mixture into the blender and blend till smooth. You may have to do this in batches given the large volume of soup.
- Return to the pot with heat on low, and add lemon juice, cinnamon and cayenne.