Recipe of the Month
I first discovered this mayo-free salad at Central Market and thought the flavors were fantastic! Went back the following week to purchase more and they no longer offered it. I figured out the recipe based on the ingredients and a little research online for portion suggestions. This recipe is easy to prepare for yourself or you could double, even triple the batch for a small luncheon. Just combine the tuna with chopped tomato, red onion, capers and arugula, then mix with the Lemon Vinaigrette. It’s light, refreshing and bursting with flavor! Perfect for hot summer days, when you’re feeling the heat.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 can Albacore or Skipjack tuna
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Handful of arugula, torn or chopped
Lemon Vinaigrette (makes 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- 2 teaspoons organic raw honey
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Dressing: mix all ingredients together in a small bowl & whisk to combine and thicken, or use a mason jar & shake to combine.
- Salad: in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for salad. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of lemon vinaigrette (or more, to taste) and mix together. Let ingredients sit for flavors to meld, or refrigerate and serve cold. Enjoy!
*Keep leftover dressing refrigerated to use with other meals such as mixed greens salads or drizzle over grilled fish.