Recipe of the Month
This may not be your typical quiche, which usually includes a crust, heavy cream and meat, but it will definitely "Wow" a crowd! This dish combines caramelized onions, gently wilted kale & the nutty flavor of quinoa with the creaminess of feta & goat cheese to create a meal that will keep you coming back for more! This dish is excellent hot, but even better at room temperature. Enjoy!
Yield: about 8 slicesIngredients:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed & cut into ribbons
- 1 Vidalia (sweet) onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 4 eggs
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Optional seasonings: crushed red pepper, oregano, basil, sriracha (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9" pie dish (either butter dish thoroughly or spray with baking spray).
- Rinse quinoa. Combine quinoa and water in a pot. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat & then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, start to caramelize the onions. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Once pan is warm, add onions & slowly cook until they are soft and browned. This is where I added some crushed red pepper, oregano and basil. Remove onions from pan & place into large mixing bowl.
- Add kale into hot onion pan. On medium heat, cook until kale is wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Allow greens to cool. Squeeze out any extra liquid using a sieve or a clean towel.
- Add kale, quinoa, garlic, feta & goat cheese to the mixing bowl. Stir ingredients so they are evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs so they are well combined. Pour over quinoa/kale mixture. Stir until the egg clings to the greens. Add salt & pepper.
- Pour mixture in prepared pie dish (I added a little sriracha on top for a little extra flavor). Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the pie has started to pull away from edge of baking dish.
Adapted from Food52
- Page 1 of 10