by Lisa Breitenwischer, CHHC
If you want to keep your skin radiant this holiday season, you might be surprised to know that the answer lies more in your digestive tract rather than on how much you’re spending on cleansers or creams. When we take a closer look at how our digestive system works, it begins to make a lot of sense. In addition to other functions, our digestive system is the main hub where we absorb beauty nutrients from our foods, as well as the main hub where we rid toxins through elimination. If the digestive system isn’t working optimally, our skin will send a message with breakouts, eczema, redness or other skin conditions.
Why the Skin?
When the digestive system struggles to eliminate toxins effectively, it will partner up with other organs and eliminate toxins that way. Since your skin is your body’s largest organ, it’s no surprise that acne, rosacea, and dermatitis crop up when something’s off internally.
What Causes Poor Digestion?
There are several factors that can contribute to suboptimal digestion:
- A Diet High in Processed or Fried Foods, Sugar and Refined Carbohydrates.
- Eating Too Much Dairy.
- Sensitivity To Certain Foods (Gluten, Eggs, Nuts, Soy).
- Consuming Too Much Alcohol or Caffeine.
- Lack of Exercise.
Tips For Glowing Radiant Skin this Holiday Season.
- Ditch the dairy. There are plenty of dairy alternatives on the market that taste great.
- Eliminate any processed foods/ sugar and replace with Whole Foods.
- Eat raw fruit, especially dark berries, cherries, papaya, and lots of vegetables. They are loaded with enzymes and can help break down food to aid in digestion.
- Add a digestive enzyme with your meal. It will help break down proteins, fats & carbohydrates.
- Supplement with Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with “The Mother”. 1 tablespoon to 2-4 oz of water in the morning.
- Take a probiotic at night. At least 25-30 billion CFU (colony forming units).
- Drink water. At least half your body weight in ounces.
- Move your body. Moving is essential to your digestive system’s function.
Do you want to avoid weight gain, stress and bloating this holiday season? Sign up today for a 1 or 2 month “Eat, Drink & BE Merry” Program with Lisa (HHC). Lisa will be your personal guide and create an individualized, fun plan to keep you on track. Don’t wait until January! Increase your energy NOW & enjoy your holidays! Your personal monthly plan includes 2 one-on-one guidance sessions (in person or by phone), weekly email support & texting, bio-individual meal & exercise plan, easy recipes, tips and more.