Recipe of the Month
Oh boy, were these tacos a hit in our house! The tacos are simple to prepare, with minimal prep. The mushrooms, black beans, and corn create a hearty, satisfying meal, while still being vegetarian & healthy. Added spices like cumin, chili powder, poblano peppers, & salsa verde create an explosion of flavors just in time for fireworks!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 cup pre-chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 poblano chile (~1/2 cup), chopped
1 1/2 cups corn (fresh or roasted)
1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup salsa verde
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 (6-inch) stone ground corn tortillas
3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or goat cheese
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, dollops of Greek yogurt, or fresh lime juice
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to mushrooms. Stir in onion and next 5 ingredients (through poblano); cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and beans to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat; stir in salsa and next 3 ingredients.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide veggie mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with crumbled cheese and desired garnishes.