Recipe of the Month
Craving a decadent, moist bread full of fall flavor? Well, you’ve found it! This Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Bread delivers all that you want in a yummy bread, while still being good for you. The use of Greek yogurt adds protein and allows the bread to be moist, while warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg enhance the earthy flavors of pumpkin, and dark chocolate chips add depth that grace every bite! Enjoy a slice for breakfast, afternoon or evening treat.
- 1 can organic pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup pumpkin spice or plain Greek yogurt (we found pumpkin spice @ Sprouts)
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup organic white flour
- ½ cup oat flour (blended oats)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the pumpkin, Greek yogurt, egg, vanilla, melted coconut oil and coconut sugar until well combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, flour & oat flour (make sure you measure oat flour AFTER blending oats; to make oat flour: place oats in blender and pulse until resemble a flour).
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined (over-mixing will create a denser bread). Stir in chocolate chips if using,
- **If you’re a big spice lover, you may want to increase spices. Just taste the batter to decide!**
- Pour batter into the prepared bread pan and bake for 55-65 minutes (I cooked for 65 minutes) or until you can insert a fork into the center and comes out clean or the bread starts to pull away from edges. If needed, tent the top with foil if the top of the bread is baking faster than the rest.
- *Lean towards barely under baking bread for a softer, denser bread.
- Let bread sit for a few minutes when done cooking. Delicious with a little butter on top! Also good topped with a little peanut/almond butter.
- Store in airtight container in fridge. We enjoyed microwaving for about 10 seconds before eating!