Recipe of the Month
This Cooling Fire Kale Salad has a kick, with fresh jalapenos and a hint of cayenne, but is balanced out with the refreshing tastes of cucumbers, cilantro & coconut. According to Ayurveda a 5,000-year-old “science of life” that is based on practical principles that help you maintain balance in accordance with the each season, one should consume more “cooling” foods during pitta summer to keep the body balanced. This doesn’t mean you can’t eat spicy food, you just want to incorporate cooling foods with it. This salad is perfect for summertime or anytime!
- ½ – ¾ bunch of kale
- 1 cucumber, peeled & chopped
- 2oz or 36 large raw cashews (divided; most is used in dressing)
- Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 lime) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- ½ large jalapeno, seeded & minced
- Himalayan pink crystal salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Whisk together first 7 ingredients (coconut vinegar to salt). Set aside.
- In a blender, mix 1 1/2 oz (27) cashews and almond milk together.
- Add prepared dressing that you set aside into blender and continue to mix until creamy. Set aside.
- Wash kale and dry in a salad spinner.
- Remove leaves from stem and tear into pieces. Place into large bowl.
- Chop up leftover cashews. Add leftover cashews, cucumber, dressing, and sprinkle of cayenne to kale and mix. Adjust cayenne pepper to your taste preference. Enjoy!