Recipe of the Month
This soup is delicious and makes for a perfect “comfort meal” on a cold day. This soup contains only a few ingredients, making it very easy to create. Instead of using regular cheese, we used Cabot cheese, which is lactose-free & gluten-free. We’ve found that pairing this soup with a little Jasmine rice adds a little substance to this low calorie, nutrient-rich meal.
- 1 Acorn squash, peeled (potato peeler works) and chopped into chunks
- 4 cups of broccoli, chopped
- About 3 cups chicken broth (give or take based on how thick you want the soup)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup Cabot Cheddar Cheese, shredded (classic or reduced fat)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place broth in a good sized pot and add cubed squash, onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and then add broccoli.
- Let contents cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to blend. Add a touch of salt & pepper.
- Ladel soup into a blender and puree to eliminate the chunks (may have to do this in small batches).
- Put soup back into pot, add cheese, stir and taste. Add salt and pepper for additional seasoning and enjoy!